* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Resources for Google Adwords Management

I released my first product late last night and immediately signed up for Google Adwords.

I was dismayed with it in the same way that I am with many web apps - there is a lack of obvious navigation structure. I know I've been to a certain screen before, but I don't remember how to get back to it. I ended up clicking all over the place to finally get back to the keyword bids page.

Their on-line Adwords Learning Center is Ok, but I'm skeptical. The more you bid on clicks, the more money they make. So I question whether they are the best resource to learn campaign management from.

Does anyone know of a good book or 3rd party resource on managing AdWords campaigns and navigating their system?
Nick Hebb Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

No suggestions, sorry.

But.. try Overture, then you'll REALLY pull your hair out. I think that's the reason thats why ad prices are higher on google (more people want to use it) then overture.
Mr. Analogy {Shrinkwrap µISV} Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

A friend of mine (who makes his living from AdSense) swears by the forums at http://webmasterworld.com
BenjiSmith Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

You should also sign up with google Analytics. It gives you detailed ROIs for adword campaigns and other referral sources etc. Everything can be cross-referenced with everything else, so you can check the average purchase amount for South American Mac users using Firefox without Flash 7 clicking on your link here on Mondays between 10am and 2pm.
Matthias Winkelmann Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

Get "The Definitive Guide to Google AdWords" from Perry Marshall".
The best you can ever read about Adwords.
Rudolf F. Vanek Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

I've heard good things about "Successful advertising with Google Adwords" from
http://www.writing-successful-adwords.com
Cylinder
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Thanks - I'll take a look at webmasterworld the Definitive Guide. Until I do, it seems like it's easier to just delete a campaign and start a new one than it is to edit an existing one.

BTW, I have Analytics, but I'm only 1 day into it. I need to get things properly set up before I can start any meaningful analysis of my ROI.
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

also subscribe to http://adwords.blogspot.com/

Today's post is for AdWords beginners.
Piyush Patel Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

>Thanks - I'll take a look at webmasterworld the Definitive Guide. Until I do, it seems like it's easier to just delete a campaign and start a new one than it is to edit an existing one.

Really? I find AdWords quite easy to use, given the limitations of a web interface. Just click on 'edit keywords' to have some plain text you can edit.

Also deleting campaigns is going to mean you lose all your historical data, which I would advise against.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Hi Nick,

Don't be put off by your original impressions. The learning curve is steep, but the heart of the adwords system is superb.

It's true that the more you bid, the more money they make, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Assuming you're correctly setup, then you'll only be paying for worthwhile clicks. And once you start to tame the system, you'll realise that you can actually spend less money for more traffic.

But be patient. It takes a long time to master the system.
Dave Collins, SharewarePromotions Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

> Really? I find AdWords quite easy to use, given the limitations of a web interface.

In my fantasy world - web apps would pop all their pages up in different tabs, with tab-to-tab communication via AJAX. Then I wouldn't find myself in the "where was the link to that one screen" dilema.

But seriously, I had some problems with the "Edit Keywords Settings". I think my problems stemmed from trying out the Budget Optimizer. It set the Max CPC to ridiculously high values, and I saw no obvious way to change the values.

When I went to edit the settings, there was a drop down with actions such as "clear all Max CPC's". This drop down did nothing.

Similarly, today I noticed that one of my key phrases didn't meet the minimum bid. Again in the Edit Keyword Settings screen, I selected "Increase all CPC's to Minimum" and clicked Save Changes. Again ... nothing.

Any software that gives you an option that doesn't actually do anything isn't what I would call easy to use.
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics