* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Ray Ozzie is at it again...

Ray Ozzie (#3 guy at MS, effectively), is at it again. Live Clipboard is something micro-ISVs should at least be aware of.

Ozzie's Post: http://spaces.msn.com/rayozzie/blog/cns!FB3017FBB9B2E142!285.entry

Transcript of talk at ETech today:
http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/03/etech_ray_ozzie.html

Post with some clarifying info by his brother Jack:
http://www.mymicroisv.com/?p=41

Cheers,
Bob Walsh Send private email
Tuesday, March 07, 2006

OK, doesn't seem too exciting though. This is just being able to copy and paste xml objects by using their reference, or in other words, adding xml to the supported clip board flavors. Or is there something I am missing.
Art Wilkins
Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

This is demonstrating a nice XML standard for exchanging structured data.  The "clipboard" part of the title is misleading as the clipboard in the demo is the Windows clipboard.  So it has nothing to do with a "live" clipboard, or a clipboard for the web.  What *is* useful and important here is the proposed XML standard for structured data for allowing different apps (web or desktop) to share such structured data.

So you still need ClipMagic (now Freeware):
http://www.clipmagic.com/

See, for a minute I thought this new live clipboard was going to make ClipMagic obsolete ...
Marcus Send private email
Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ah, but what Jack/Ray Ozzie are also saying is what if you could store your clipboard online at Microsoft Live?

For example, say you LC copy an Amazon product, save it to MS Live and then a few days later decide to LC paste it back to Barnes and Noble?

Just don't see much benefit...kinda like .net.

Yeah I don't really get the big deal either.  If what you were describing were the case thats one thing, but it appears to just be a sample of moving data from one specifically setup div to another specifically setup div.  I don't think Amazon would configure their site's clipboard to work with Barnes and Noble's etc... unless i'm missing something.
Phil Send private email

Live Clipboard itself isn't much.

The idea that you have data completely separate from applications - is an old idea that has been extraordinarily difficult to implement.

For example, I have my first name, credit card number, and expiration date written down somewhere like notepad. In theory, I should be able to go to any shopping site, say "here's a pointer to my credit card info" and the site will extract what it needs. By the same token, if I go to a warez site, I should be able to block any attempt to read my credit card info.

What if I used wordpad instead of notepad? Or emacs? Or vi? Or used PGP and stored the info in memory only?  I should still be able to say "here is my card, don't make me read off the numbers."

Seems like Ozzie has decided the clipboard/XML approach is the perfect middleman to accomplish that.

Incidently, I still think it's a pipe dream, but I'm willing to wait and see if he actually ships anything, including an XML schema and a set of standards.
TheDavid

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics