* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Micro-ISV tip #18: Squidoo is live - grab a lense now.

Last night, Squidoo went from private to public beta. This means that if you are micro-ISV, you should --right now-- go there, sign up (free) and claim lenses relevant to your business.

Why? 1) Lenses are a way to promote discussion about your micro-ISV product, direct people interested in that topic to online resources and promote your business. 2) Your competitors, large and small are doing this right now! 3) It's a revenue stream 4) This is a "first mover" opportunity.

Link: Squidoo Homepage: http://www.squidoo.com/

my 2.5 cents
Bob Walsh Send private email
Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Very slick interface (in terms of usability), at least for the signup.  Haven't explored beyond that.  Nice Job!

Squidoo is not mine, but I do have embryonic lenses there and I really think this is a very useful marketing avenue for micro_ISVs.

Lots of tentacles and eyeballs. I'm intrigued. :)
. Send private email

Is it me or site is exceedingly slow?
JD Send private email

So, I created my Lens.  Ummmm....now I guess I have to become an expert or something?
Lurker Send private email

Looks like its run out of SQL Server licences.
Simon Lucy Send private email

This is the idea - hopefully, you've got some expertise in your micro-ISV product, and the problem domain it plays in! :)

(this wasn't supposed to be a flame, but it is, so be it)

Is it just me or do others "not get it"?

So this is a place to put yourself on a pedistle or stand on a soap box or something?  Here look at me and my ego, I'm just trying to sell product on my website, but I'll put up a few uninteresting, poorly thought-out tips so you find me!

Then people can choose if they like you more than other people?  I hope I get "most likely to succeed" in this ego yearbook.

Then I can start saying I'm an expert on something, others can trash, me, I get the smallest link in the system and look like I know nothing?  Mmm. no.

Or maybe it's just another way for Seth Godin to put his picture, book, and loud, useless, ideas at the top of a link list.  Not to mention put his tight-knit friends pictures and ideas on the home page too.

I'm sorry, but I don't see this system as a way to make my life any better.

Anon. Flamer:

I've just posted a stinging rebuttal re why squidoo is good at http://www.todoorelse.com

Cheers!

"Off to Google I go: a hour later, I still don't have a clue how to play this game"

What are you talking about? The first hit on google for Sudoku explains it quite well.

I don't get it either...
DJ

This is very similar to the idea of about.com, nee The Mining Company, where experts edit pages of links on a topic. I think it's about.com done right. It is the brainchild of Seth Godin, creator of yoyodyne, blogger, and business writer extraordinaire. And it's another NYC tech company!
Joel Spolsky Send private email

About.com is dead!  Long live Wikipaedia!  Wikipaedia is dead!  Long live Squidoo!

Wait a while and there'll be another ultimate repository of distilled community-moderated knowledge. I'm sure it's not a bad idea as such,

From the Squidoo FAQ:

WHO SHOULD BUILD A LENS?

You should, if you...

1. ...have a Web site and you're not happy with your PageRank in Google, a lens will increase it. That's because a lens provides exactly what search engines are looking for: authoritative insight so people can find what they're looking for.

Well, personally I'm not entirely convinced that "increasing pagerank" should be the number 1 top reason for "building a lens."  I'm not sure that being the owner of the site you're linking to qualifies a person as an entirely unbiased "expert".  I'm with the other anonymous guy - it's just another ego boost game.  Rating systems keep turning into popularity contests and ego trips, and keep getting additional layers heaped on to "fix" them.  Not my idea of a fun game.

And the thought of beoming a "lensmaster" just puts me right off, no matter how wonderful it may all be.  ;)

I'm really "impressed" by the top entry in the computer section:

Get Paid (LensRank: 2) 
Who doesn't enjoy extra cash? Here's my collection of extra earning opportunities for cash, gift certificates or product prizes. Some are online, others are offline opportunities as well. I can't guarantee them, but my goal is to provide a quality li...

That just fills me with confidence that I'll get useful relevant and accurate information on computers (which, apparantly, means "how to get free cash and no scams at all honest".)

Yeah, I'm a cynic. As long as that's the really good information in the "computer" section, I'll carry on being cynical, thanks.

Cynic,

Two things:

1. squidoo has been in public beta not even 24 hours. I think their raking system will work, but hey, give it a chance!

2. "A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for the coffin." H.L. Mencken

Cheers!:)

I can't see how it will catch on... pages don't flow, it's just another cram-as-much-random-info as you can, interspersed with Amazon and google ads, that all looks bot-generated, IMO!
Skip

Lenses are ranked according to several criterias.
There are pretty good lenses now, but there will be much more that will suck. Just as web sites on the Internet :)

Take a look at my first lens www.squidoo.com/misv/
Boris Yankov Send private email

okay, so how do you register? It keeps failing on the security word. And yes I am putting in the exact security word.

Anyone else have problems registering?
no lens for me

Squidoo is bullshit. The same idea was used before for About.com, Suite101, etc.
George Send private email

You go on thinking that George while the rest of us just keep going.

Think of it as evolution in action.

Cheers!

So can someone explain to me why this Squidoo thing is better than just putting this stuff on your own blog?
Rob Send private email

"okay, so how do you register? It keeps failing on the security word. And yes I am putting in the exact security word."

I had a similar problem - except it wouldn't show a security word, just a grid with nothing in it.  I quit firefox and restarted it and it finally worked.

Their site is really slow :(
saberworks

Perfect reason I do not post on this site anymore. Too much negativity without fact or sound reasoning.

I was able to register using internet explorer instead of mozilla.

Has anyone figured out how to change the colors and fonts? They are pretty 1998ish looking as they now stand.

If the top sites are any indication, so far it looks like it is an accumulation of autogenerated feeds personalized with a picture of the owner. I assume that the intent is for the owners to produce their own content eventually, right?
no lens for me

I don't really get it, and it doesn't seem to work very well.

Meh, the dot-com bubble was driven by excessive optimisim and a distinct lack of someone saying "and where the fuck do you think the money is coming from, you blithering idiot?". Worked for some, didn't work so well for a lot of others.

I'm not saying it's a concept straight from the cow-pats of the devil's satanic herd, just that I'm yet to be convinced that it's a gift from heaven either. Hey, it worked for about.com, wikipaedia still isn't dead, slashdot has been playing community moderation games for years, so there's no reason why squidoo can't do something useful. Hell, google still brings up stuff on all those sites every now and again.

But I'ld hesitate to call it absolutely essential.

Besides, if one is to set themselves up as an expert, then either they get to provide highly biased and cynical marketing propaganda, or they have to be honest and open about their own weaknesses and their competitiors strengths. If it turns into competing companies trying to provide the best-ranked biased marketing material, then it's not something I'ld like to encourage.

Yet, strangely, it's being strongly promoted here and on their website as a marketing tool.

Hey, guess what...
...I'm still cynical!

All I can tell is - it seems to be like About.com when it was brand new but unexploited and most categories were not yet covered. It's a fresh opportunity to attach yourself to a category of interest that belongs to a (major?) portal.

I am somewhat dinosauric in that I have no idea why this is supposed to be another paradigm shift.
Bored Bystander Send private email

Bob
the lens you linked to in your rebuttal
http://www.squidoo.com/sudoku/

it has it's first informative link as being wikipedia ...hmm.. what keeps me from ripping off wikipedia to become a "lensmaster"?

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Cynic:
"cow-pats of the devil's satanic herd"! Great line, I'm going to steal it forthwith.

Seriously, your points are well founded but your assumptions are wrong: while there will be plenty of drivel in squidoo as time goes by, I think the mechanism (ranking, freshness and revenue) will give knowledgeable people very good reasons to do great lenses.

BB, I don't know if I'd put this in the switching from farming to industrial category, but there are two reasons there are about 1 billion people on the Internet as of now: their bosses make them do it, or they want answers.

There are so many questions out there, so much rotten information, so little time. Anything that distills info into actionable knowledge is going to get a lot of attention.

Wednesday, as far as ripping off wikipedia, I expect people will try that, but they'll be sooner or later caught out.

FYI, I just posted again on why Squidoo matters to micro-ISVs at my blog, http://www.todoorelse.com

Hopefully, it will convince a few of the cynics out there that there's something of value here.

Bob,

How about a link to your lens(es), so we can see an example of a lens done right?
spudz

Bob, why do you think people will want to read self-appointed "experts" obviously just shilling their own products?
Skip

Steal away - I stole it from Blackadder to start with.  ;)

But you still haven't answered the important issue:

If Mr Brice says that he's got the best table planner software then he's both "unbiased expert" and "highly biased marketer" at the same time, and that tends to work badly.  (I'm sure he's a wonderful person - but there's plenty of others out there who may not be as ethical as we can assume he is.)

The seemingly unstoppable obsession with marketing is what bothers me the most about squidoo - that may be a great reason to contribute, but it's not so great for the people who want to learn something new. Aside from that, at least it's no worse than any number of other communal blogs around the net.

Doing the "name recognition through useful information" thing without falling into the trap of only doing blatant marketing is hard, and I see nothing special in squidoo to help people with that. Hell, even the Microsoft MVP program at least pays attention to who's regularly offering useful information, not who's plugging their own website. To me, setting out to become an expert for publicity and marketing reasons seems to be less genuine than accidentally qualifying as an MVP because you posted a few too many accurate and helpful answers to questions on a newsgroup.
...I'm still cynical!

Cynical-

>>he's both "unbiased expert" and "highly biased marketer" at the same time<<

I think this is the fault in your argument. A squidoo lense is not the work of an unbiased expert: It's the work of someone who a) cares about a particular subject, b) thinks they have some expertise in it. The squidoo marketplace effect will make clear if others think that person has some value to share or not.

If a person or small team a passonate about building software that solves that problem, why shouldn't they share that passion?

As for the crass marketing aspect of it all, well, that's a matter of personal preference: you can set a lens up so that any revenue goes to the charity of your choice, if that works for you.

I've come to the conclusion that unbiased expert is an oxymoron.

still don't understand why this would be better than creating a good blog and submitting it to the google index.
confused

Spudz (?),

Right now, all I have done is created empty placeholders for the lenses I want to run with. Next comes the hard work of researching and building the lenses. Several of them are things I feel I have some expertise in I can share. Some are things I want to research and find some good info on, and these lenses give me a focus (pun intended) to work from. As soon as I have them up, I will play moving target and post how to find them.

Skip,

Because, whether they are self-appointed, annointed by your favorite deity or just someone who has built a reputation, the truth is in what they offer, not who they are.

Confused:

In a word: noise. Let's say you build a great site on say getting started with AJAX. Searching for that on Google yields 1.4 million pages. Maybe I find your site, maybe I don't. But its not necessarily going to be structured the way a lens is. Now let's say you built a squidoo lens with exactly the same content, including a pointer to really good tutorial, the one (Apress of course!) book worth reading, and this guy who blogs whom half the time has killer AJAX posts, and the rest are about his cat.

Well, You've warned me about the cat posts, so if I go there and see that, I know to look down a post or two. And I see that a bunch of people rated your lens highly. And its fresh.

Structure is a good thing!

amazing :)  this is so obviously a stupid idea that it makes me cry to see a genuinely nice guy so enthusiastic about it.

There is nothing here that a blog community could not provide.  and, in fact, already does provide.

only a few of those bloggers will get in on this, which inevitably means that squidoo will have less content available inside than will exist outside in easily accessible format.

also the users are going to be technical people who already know how to navigate google effectively and economically.
what will squidoo offer them?  (aside from an opportunity to sell their own products)

I predict it will slowly gather a small, intelligent community...just like JoS and other blog sites.

and there it will stop.
Jesus H Christ

OY!

"amazing :)  this is so obviously a stupid idea that it makes me cry to see a genuinely nice guy so enthusiastic about it." --Uhh, thanks, I think.

"There is nothing here that a blog community could not provide.  and, in fact, already does provide." -- except structure, a ranking system, a tagging system limited to similarly structured pages and a micro-payment gateway. And oh yes, a shared user experience.

"only a few of those bloggers will get in on this, which inevitably means that squidoo will have less content available inside than will exist outside in easily accessible format." --That's the idea! Less content, less information. More knowledge, more someone offering up their experience. I can judge people better than I can judge subjects I don't know about.

"also the users are going to be technical people who already know how to navigate google effectively and economically." --Nope: in all of the 48 hours this thing has been in public beta, I see a lot of non techie real people (or at least techies with real people interests).

"what will squidoo offer them?  (aside from an opportunity to sell their own products)" --(Money. Recognition. Karma points. Works for me!)

"I predict it will slowly gather a small, intelligent community...just like JoS and other blog sites. and there it will stop." We'll see...

except structure, a ranking system, a tagging system limited to similarly structured pages and a micro-payment gateway. And oh yes, a shared user experience.

all of which will help me find what I want to know *how*? exactly?

google *already* provides me with a very effective ranking system for blogs.

...and, although I can see why the vendors(?) would be pleased about the micropayment gateway, as a user I find it hard to get excited about the idea.

"That's the idea! Less content, less information. More knowledge, more someone offering up their experience. I can judge people better than I can judge subjects I don't know about."

interesting.  Ive found that relying on other peoples opinions without doing the work myself almost always leads to...less than stellar results...

I kind of see what you are saying...heres some people that have dont all the filtering of the imformation for me...Im just not sure I believe that they can possibly cover the range of things I need to know about as effectively as google does.

As another place for google to get its results from I like it :) 

"Nope: in all of the 48 hours this thing has been in public beta, I see a lot of non techie real people (or at least techies with real people interests)."

so techies with real people interests != techie? interesting math.

So I think we just agreed that most of the users are going to be technical people who already now how to use google effectively?

"what will squidoo offer them?  (aside from an opportunity to sell their own products)" --(Money. Recognition. Karma points. Works for me!)"

recognition?  you mean by other people using squidoo?

karma points?  ah.  so its kind of like slashdot but without the large user base?

"We'll see..."

heh.  you'll see. 

good luck :)
Jesus H Christ

I guess that my biggest concern is that an army of people chasing karma, recognition and money doesn't make a community.

what makes a community is people helping other people.

So I can kind of see why people would want to be listed on it, and garner the mighty fame and riches that this will entail...Im just not sure, long term, why anyone would actually want to go there for information.

or even, if the fame and riches fail to ensue, what will hold those who are there only for those reasons.
Jesus H Christ

> interesting.  Ive found that relying on other peoples opinions without doing the work myself almost always leads to...less than stellar results...

Heh, if you play that game you often tend to get popular misconceptions instead of unpopular truth. It's remarkable how often people post a question right here and then get conflicting advice - but they don't know how to assess which person was right, and simply counting the number of people who support a given idea doesn't always give the right answer.

Of course, if squidoo manages to attract helpful experts instead of people chasing google pagerank and trying to shill their own products then they'll probably end up with a few little corners that are really useful. Stick enough people on a website and sooner or later, if only by accident, some of them will know what they're talking about.

The good news is that if it all works as advertised, then there is no first mover advantage. Either you're an expert and when you decide to move then you'll bubble to the top, or you're not an expert and you'll sink to the bottom when a real expert shows up. (Ok, idiots need to move fast, everyone else can wait and see if the system works for the first lot of experts to sign up.)  If it is important to be first, then apparantly an idiot who gets in first can prevent a useful expert from getting in, and then it wouldn't be working as advertisied.

> I guess that my biggest concern is that an army of people chasing karma, recognition and money doesn't make a community.

Prior experiments (e.g. slashdot, kuro5hin) have shown that karma systems create karma-whores, people trying to play the system, and ever expanding moderation-of-moderation levels. Hell, if you just count the number of times a person has posted a comment, you'll get people obsessed with who's got the bigger number.

> Im just not sure, long term, why anyone would actually want to go there for information.

It'll be like about.com or wikipaedia - the good stuff ends up highly ranked in google anyway.  ;)  Of course, that only works if it's more than just collections of links.

Ok.
One More Time.

1. I don't think squidoo is going to become a haven of karma-whores, egomaniacs or used car salespeople. Just people who care about particular subject, have done their research or paid their dues, and are willing to save other people time.

2. I expect a lot of people will make dinner out type money, a few will make real money and those who try to game the system not a dime. What's wrong with money. Shocking secret revealed: I work for money, like money and want more money. So there.

3. Here's a challenge for you JHC and Cynic: pick one topic, maybe the topic your software is about, or will be about (point of this forum, right?) do a squidoo lens and see what happens. I promise no lingering ill effects, loss of fruitless cynicism or loss of superiority. You can donate whatever you make to the Flat Earth Society.

Who knows, you might like it!

"1. I don't think squidoo is going to become a haven of karma-whores, egomaniacs or used car salespeople."

<g> Im glad to see such a high level of optimism....

"I expect a lot of people will make dinner out type money, a few will make real money and those who try to game the system not a dime."

so how exactly will they make money?  give me a run down on the options.

"What's wrong with money. Shocking secret revealed: I work for money, like money and want more money. So there."

??? Im pretty sure no one here has anything against money.  certainly I dont.

"Here's a challenge for you JHC and Cynic:"

heh.  Im one of the great underachievers in the world.  I genuinely do not have time enough in my day to write software, run my business, blog, run a lens, look after my girls, run my household, love my family, maintain a personal website and have a decent lifestyle.

...also my partner is bugging me to mow the lawns again, apparently 3 feet high is an embarrassing height for grass to be.  who knew?

If I tried Id prolly give me a fair go for about a week, then give up and go outside to take the girls for a walk.

Im always astonished at those of you who manage to do everything.

<g> I geniuinely hope that squidoo makes you as rich as you hope, you deserve it for the effort you put in.

"Who knows, you might like it!"

meh.  I prefer writing code :)
Jesus H Christ

Hi.

You've all been discussing about why I -- as a mISV -- should post there. The FAQ appears to cover marketing, stroking your ego, and making a fast buck or two. OK.

What I haven't yet understood is why I -- as a viewer -- should go there to look for something. As opposed to going to Google or going to Wikipedia. If I want an explanation, I'll go to Wikipedia, assuming that people who have expertise in a subject have taken the time to write a sensible article thjere (let's ignore the recent issue of JFK's killer for a moment, OK?). The Sudoku example would have been answered by the brilliant article in Wikipedia (which I just ready this week - how's that for a coincidence?) - which has actually given me a couple of tips for solving the next Sudoku in our weekend paper.

If I want a marketing droid, or I want to part with what little money I have, I'll go to Google, enter my search term and visit the sposored links; assuming that someone who's interested in selling me do-it-yourself cardboard breadbaskets will have bought that AdSense keyword. And the rating issue would probably also pretty much be adressed by Google's pagerank algorithm.

If I want personal anecdotes, tecchy stuff, discussion, blather and amusement that appeals to my inner nerd, I'll go to technorati and search the blogs.

Now -- WHY would I, as a viewer, want to go to Squidoo to look for stuff?

And if there is no viewing audience, why bother to post there in the first place?

Dan.
Daniel Send private email
Friday, December 09, 2005

Hey Dan - Great Question!

I started to answer it here, but it was such a good question, I decided to blog about it at http://www.todoorelse.com

The short answer is time: If I look up say "The Long Tail" at Squidoo, I luck out and get a lens by the guy who first wrote about it, his top 5 posts about it, his top 10 picks of other people's posts and a rss feed.

If I google "Long Tail" the first 99 of 14.6 million hits look completely relevent, but I'd have to read most of that 99 to cover the same ground that I got from squidoo.

I may end up doing that, but I don't want a firehose every time I'd just like a sip of water.

What I'm most skeptical of is the implied assertion that a slightly different structure or technology than what is currently in broad use will organically result in much higher quality information.

I think the chicken and egg principle is valid here. The internet and search in particular have become crowded venues. There has to be enough end-user interest to motivate quality authorship. And at heart this is another portal, currently waiting to be filled/populated.

Considering that Google is a primary information source, I would personally save the best content for my own blog. I think the first-tier information sources in certain categories such as yourself, Joel, etc will do likewise.

And - four articles on your own blog about Squidoo, Bob. You're sounding like an evangelist. :)

BB point well taken, and I have been known for going off the enthusiastic deep end. Time to see what develops at squidoo and do some squidoo development.

On the other hand, life without passion is no life at all.

As the creator of the Sudoku lens, let me tell you my experience.

I've now built four different lenses on Squidoo. I started not knowing what to expect with no particular business purpose. My first lens was on Marshall McLuhan, former patron saint of Wired. I didn't expect this to be popular, but thought it might be useful for my work-in-progress on McLuhan's Laws of Media. At first it was a way to publicly organize my research. This was rather static, or so I thought.

My Sudoku lens was built with a more public audience in mind. I had been working on a Sudoku site www.allsudoku.com and had found some sites and feeds that really did not fit on my site. It also gave me a chance to see how my site could be used to supply content to Squidoo. (This is where I think the web is going: subscribing not surfing pages.) In particular I knew several good Sudoku game feeds.

I then built a Lens on Christmas Ales and Beers. I have a vintage collection and was interested in exploring what was on the web. So as I surfed I put together the lens. I also used it to test the format of lenses.

SURPRISES

First, I was very surprised that my Sudoku lens was in the tip 10. It is a fun ride.

Second, I'm surprised at how often I go back to my lenses to read them and update them. The lens itself becomes a research tool for updating the lens.

There is a lot unknown about Squidoo. Improvements will be made as will mistakes. In summary, like blogs Squidoo is a very interesting new web format worth exploring for personal and business use.
Ray Daly Send private email
Saturday, December 10, 2005

"This is where I think the web is going: subscribing not surfing pages"

christ. I hope to god you are wrong.
Jesus H Christ
Saturday, December 10, 2005

>> subscribing not surfing pages

LOL. Anyone here remember "push" technology? Just a little?
Sunday, December 11, 2005

I took another look.

sometimes I think everyone is quite, quite mad.

its *really is* just a bunch of webpages with interesting stuff on them.

you're all crazy.  bleeding bonkers.

raving nutters.

utterly insane caterpillas(sp?).

lunatics.

we truly are doomed to cycle through the same fads under different names forever.

god help us all.
Jesus H Christ
Sunday, December 11, 2005

Hey, JHC - d'you want to buy stock in my online pet food and groceries site?

Trust me - this will take off. It's a totally new paradigm. We're going to let the dogs tell us which dog food tastes best. The dog owners will be able to publish "dishes", where they write about their dogs' experiences and  daily activities. And based on previous purchases of dog food we can then also recommend flea collars and personal dog-walkers.

Oooooohh.. This is going to be enormous!

Does anyone know where my E-BUSINESSPLAN.DOT Word template went? I can't seem to find it any more.

Dan.
Monday, December 12, 2005

You guys are "eaten up". :)

huh?
Jesus H Christ

I meant - hilarious. Especially Daniel.

Oh, OK. I thought it was a sexual thing. For a moment there, you had me worried.

Dan.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics